Caton Rabies Clinic



In cooperation with Steuben County Public Health Service


Caton Fire Hall

1118 Caton Road, State Rte 225
Friday, September 14, 2012
5:00 to 7:00 pm
Dogs, cats and ferrets welcome
and must be confined.

Please bring proof of prior rabies vaccine record,
if available.

For more information call
 Caton Town Clerk @ 524-6303

Two Positions remain open on the Zoning Board of Appeals

The Zoning Board of Appeals continues to have two open positions.  Please contact Megan Thistle, Lindley Town Clerk, if interested in applying. 523-8816 or .

1. Have a willingness and dedication to commit both time and personal
energy to the Zoning Board of Appeals.

2. Have an interest in comprehensive community planning, zoning and
subdivision of land, and the protection of the environment.
3. Have a desire to assist in implementing the Town of Lindley's land
use policies including the Comprehensive Plan and Zoning Ordinances for
the purpose of protecting the health, safety and welfare of the

4. Have a willingness to encourage and accept input from citizens,
organizations and those directly affected by land use related actions
made by the Zoning Board of Appeals.


1. The general purpose of the Zoning Board of Appeals is to hear and
decide any appeal or decision, order or interpretation by the Code
Enforcement Officer (CEO) whose duty it is to enforce the zoning
ordinance, and it shall have the power to reverse any decision of such
officer on a concurring vote of the board as provided by statute.

2. The Zoning Board of Appeals shall also conduct hearings and other
affairs as are designated by the zoning ordinances.  Specific duties
include the preparation, administration and implementation of the Town
of Lindley's Comprehensive Plan and Zoning Ordinances.

3. The Zoning Board of Appeals is required to make formal
recommendations on all zoning and subdivision applications.

4. Attend and participate in regularly scheduled meetings and special

Tannery Creek Road now open between Davis and Griswold Roads

Vincent Spagnoletti, Commisioner, announces that CR 120, Tannery Creek Rd. is now open between Davis and Griswold Roads.

Hunting Courses and general information

Training in Safe Handling of Firearms and Hunting Required
Before Purchasing a Hunting License

All new hunters or trappers planning to go afield this upcoming hunting and trapping season must first complete a mandatory hunter or trapper education course, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) today reiterated.  Previously licensed hunters who plan to hunt out of state should also have their sportsman education certificates or previous licenses in hand as proof that they have completed the required course.  All states accept New York’s hunter education course but states differ on what is required as proof of completion.

Sporting licenses went on sale August 13. To purchase hunting or trapping licenses in New York, proof of a previous license or your original sportsman education certificate must be shown. If adequate proof cannot be shown, one may be required to take the course again to be recertified. Finding a course immediately prior to or during the hunting season will be difficult. With the Southern Zone bow season beginning October 1 this year, September courses will be in high demand and those offered in October will be too late for those wishing to bow hunt the first part of the season.

New York sportsmen and sportswomen that travel out of state to hunt should be sure to satisfy all the requirements of the destination state well in advance. Some states require the original hunter education certificate, and getting a replacement can be time consuming if the original is misplaced. The New York State Sportsman Education Program has an extensive database from which replacement certificates can be issued if the course was taken in 1980 or after. Those unable to locate their original certificate, or cannot find a record of it, may be required to repeat a course. A previous hunting license cannot be used to reissue a certificate.

All first-time hunters, bowhunters and trappers must pass one or more courses before they can obtain a license in New York. Trained instructors, certified by DEC, teach safe and responsible outdoors practices and the important role of hunters and trappers in natural resource conservation. All courses are free of charge, but space may be limited.

To locate a nearby hunter or trapper education class, visits DEC’s website and course list at: or contact a local DEC regional office. Courses can also be found listed in local papers, sporting goods stores, and posters at gun clubs. For a list of regional offices and contact information, visit  The website information is updated regularly throughout the year.

DEC Deer Hunting Announcement

With 2012-13 hunting licenses now available, we have updated information on our website to help you plan your deer hunting activities.
  • DMP Availability and Probability of Selection -   This page shows which Wildlife Management Units will have Deer Management Permits (doe tags), and what hunters' odds are for being selected for a DMP. 
  • 2012 Deer Season Forecasts -   In particular, you will be interested in the regional reports which contain unit-by-unit forecasts from our regional field biologists.
  • 2012-13 New York State Hunting and Trapping Guide - For current hunting regulations, season dates and bag limits, sunrise/sunset chart, and a number of wildlife and hunting related articles, you can download the at or scroll through the entire guide online at
Also, please report sick or dead deer to DEC.
DEC needs your help identifying outbreaks of epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD) (, a fatal virus transmitted to deer by biting midges, generally known as "no see-ums" or "gnats." Infections commonly occur in late summer and early fall. Sick deer have small bruises in the mouth and nose and swelling of the head, neck, tongue and lips. A large number of sick or dead deer may be found in a small area, particularly in or near water sources. Though no outbreaks have been detected in New York yet this year, we previously had limited EHD outbreaks in 2007 in Albany and Niagara counties and in 2011 in Rockland County. The virus is not a problem for humans or domestic animals but can have a locally significant impact on deer populations. If you encounter a sick deer or an unusual number of dead deer, please report it to your nearest DEC regional wildlife office (

Hunting License sales begin August 13th

Deer Management Permits, Hunting, Fishing, Trapping Licenses will be Available

Agenda - Town Board Meeting Wednesday August 8, 2012

1. Call to order
2. Pledge to the flag
3. Reports
  _Town Clerk _Supervisor _CEO _Highway _Historian _Justice
  _J.Simcoe _D.Ballard _P.Clark _L.Demun _L.Salyerds _M.Stocum
Resolution to comply with NYS and Local Retirement System  standard workdays and hours reporting system for those town employees who are currently participating in the program.

Electronics Recycling Program